Position Title:Financial Aid Advisor
Reports To:Assistant Director of Financial Aid
Purpose of Position
To award a financial aid package that conforms to all Title IV regulations as well as state and university policies to eligible TAMU-C students.
- Performs public relations activities such as advises and counsels students in the areas of federal, state, and university policies and procedures that relate to the financial aid programs. Handles problem students and/or parents at any stage of the student’s application.
- Reviews file for general eligibility, satisfactory academic progress and documentation requirements. Exercises professional judgment regarding student’s dependency status, special conditions, and approve or disapprove aid eligibility appeals. Determines eligibility and award federal and state aid.
- Responsible for final input into the computerized student information system (Banner) and verifies the accuracy of previous data entry.
- Performs public speaking responsibilities including financial aid presentations, admission presentations and coordinates and conducts loan entrance interviews.
- Assists with data input and calculations in order to complete reporting requirements at both the federal and university levels.
- Assists in the collection and preparation of data (housing, child care costs, etc.) used to determine student expense budgets.
- Reviews federal and state publications and other communications to continually recommend improvements in the financial aid process. Assists in the development of financial aid operating forms.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a BachelorÔ??s degree or a combination of college credits and continued training in the area of financial aid with four years of progressively responsible experience in an office of financial aid at a post-secondary institution. A thorough and working knowledge of federal, state and Texas A&M University-Commerce laws, regulations, practices and procedures pertaining to student financial aid a plus. Must have analytical skills and a high level of interpersonal and oral communications skills. A thorough and working knowledge of computerized student information system (Banner) helpful. The initiative to keep abreast of all changing regulations is essential.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises from one (1) to three (3) student workers.