Position Title:Graduate Program Specialist
Department:Graduate Studies and Research
Purpose of Position
Coordinates processes related to masterÔ??s, specialist, and certificate programs for graduate students (including international students). Responsible for processes involving academic action, degree works, and coordination of graduate student graduation. Responsible for knowledge and interpretation of graduate degree requirements and Universities procedures.
- Coordinates master’s and specialist degree programs, and graduate certificate activities in accordance with university graduate program procedures, Graduate Catalog, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board regulations and procedures and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools criteria for accreditations.
- Coordinates academic suspension and retention activities in graduate programs in accordance with university policy.
- Communicates with all applicants in writing as to their academic standing to assure that the applicants are notified in a timely matter about their status and options.
- Develops proactive approaches to assists students with academic programs.
- Collaborates with department heads and major advisers to facilitate the best solution to enable the retention of students.
- Counsels with students concerning Graduate Council expectations in regard to academic performance and academic action policies.
- Facilitates the development of degree plans through degree works for master’s and specialist degree seeking students. Maintains and updates degree plan (degree audit/works) activities as requested by the student’s advisor and monitors adherence to Graduate Council procedures, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board regulations and procedures and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools criteria for accreditations in regard to degree requirements. Evaluates and processes the transfer and substitution of courses.
- Facilitates the development of certificate plans through degree works for students pursuing a graduate certificate. Maintains and updates program plan (degree audit/works) activities as requested by the student’s advisor and monitors adherence to Graduate Council procedures, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board regulations and procedures and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools criteria for accreditations in regard to certificate requirements.
- Facilitates the process for graduate student graduation. Creates and maintains list of eligible graduate students for graduation.
- Exercises independent judgment in assessing the qualifications of each applicant for graduation.
- Generates notification to students regarding their initial eligibility for graduation.
- Prepares and submits student records for review by departments for departmental graduation clearance.
- Reviews and verifies initial clearance of students eligible to graduate per semester.
- Responsible for final clearance of graduate students for graduation per semester.
- Provides list of graduate students eligible to graduate per semester to the Graduation Coordinator in the Registrar’s Office.
- Creation and retention of graduation records.
- Communicates daily with students, faculty, staff and administrators concerning graduate program issues. This includes students based at the Metroplex Center, Navarro and Universities Center at Dallas. Requests come via telephone, walk-ins, mail and e-mail.
- Communicates daily with students, faculty, staff and administrators concerning masters and specialist degree and graduate certificate matters. Meets with advisors once a year to improve communications and update processes.
- Monitors and facilities the updates to the degree audit/works process and programs for Graduate Students.
- Participates in training faculty advisors in regard to degree audit/works and other graduate studies processes.
- Coordinates the process for student travel
- Develops and updates procedures and forms used in the master’s and specialist degree programs and graduate certificates process. Works closely with major advisors and department heads to assure that methods used make the graduate experience a positive one for students while at the same time upholding the standards set by the University.
- Develops and maintains a database for semester and yearly reports containing enrollment and degree information so that the Graduate Studies can plan new initiatives to promote graduate education at A&M-Commerce. Provides such information to appropriate offices.
- Maintains a manual of processes that involves not only the data entry required for the Student Information System but also the departmental and university regulations so that an informative and correct source is available to the staff of the Graduate Studies.
- Reviews, approves, and updates changes to the Graduate Catalog.
- Reviews and verifies graduate curriculum changes within the curriculum process.
- Responds to initial inquiries concerning graduate studies in order to supply essential admission, program and registration information. Responsible for on-line inquiries and applications.
- Maintains and revises the Master’s/Specialist Advisor Handbook.
- Coordinates the Scholarship Process
- Helps train and supervise student workers involved in day-to-day operations of Graduate Studies and the scanning process used to file and index student documents, records and correspondence.
- Administers the student requests and petition process. Works closely with departments, advisors, and Associate Graduate Dean to resolve student requests by researching, recommending actions and drafting communications.
- Promotes the well-being of the office by cross-training with co-workers, briefing co-workers on current activities, updating computer skills, keeping file up-to-date and problem solving.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree (eight (8) years related experience will substitute for degree). BachelorÔ??s degree in Business preferred with four (4) years business related experience. Requires advanced knowledge in word processing, spreadsheet, imaging applications, verbal skills, and organizational skills. Knowledge of university procedures, Coordinating Board regulations and Southern Association criteria.
Supervision of Personnel