Position Title:Head of Technical Services
Reports To:Associate Director of Libraries
Purpose of Position
Provides leadership, oversight and hands-on management of library acquisitions, materials processing, cataloging, serials, e-resources and the integrated library system. Develops goals, priorities and strategies for the department and has an overall view of the service mission of the library.
- Organizes and oversees all library technical services operations.
- Leads the planning process within the unit; coordinates all aspects of the workflow between technical services units as well as between technical services and other library departments.
- Supervises the maintenance of the Library’s bibliographic databases.
- Supervises the creation and maintenance of the Library’s records concerning the purchasing and processing of resources for the Library’s collections.
- Coordinates the use of technology within the unit, working closely with the Technology Services Librarian and the Systems Librarian.
- Identifies special project needs. Plans, supervises and evaluates projects.
- Supervises the collection and extrapolation of all Technical Services statistics and preparation of reports.
- Documents Technical Services’ policies and relationships.
- Functions within the Library as the chief advocate of Technical Services’ needs. Acts as a communication channel between department staff and administration.
- Works as a team member with a variety of departments and committees in the library and on campus.
- Maintains professional expertise appropriate to meet services and planning requirements in area assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires MLS degree from an ALA-accredited program. Minimum of five (5) years in technical services. Knowledge in all aspects of technical services, including technology and automation. Minimum of five (5) years of increasingly responsible supervision of staff in an academic environment; strong interpersonal and communication skills. Experience with Innovative Interfaces Millennium ILS preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Directly supervises the Serials Librarian, Acquisitions Librarian, Catalog Librarian and Systems Librarian and annually evaluates, in writing, the library faculty holding these positions. Indirectly supervises library support staff; reviews and approves annual written evaluation for these individuals.