Position Title:Head Special Collections and Archives
Purpose of Position
Responsible for acquiring, organizing, describing and publicizing historical materials and rare books that pertain to the history of the University and the Northeast Texas region. Oversees the operations of the Special Collections and Archives Department within the library including supervision of full-time and part-time staff, as well as planning and scheduling of both routine and special projects. Serves as the University Records Officer. Serves as the primary point of contact between the university library and regional library, museum and history groups.
- Acquires, arranges and indexes historical material for convenient access by users.
- Manages the daily operations of the University Archives and Special Collections department.
- Oversees the records management program to insure that vital university records are available for use by administration and others.
- Collaboratively works with other departments in the library and on campus to develop and promote library resources.
- Collaborates with individuals and outside organizations to identify, preserve and make accessible items of historical interest from throughout Northeast Texas.
- Pursues and administers grants and special projects that pertain to the collection.
- Maintains professional expertise appropriate to meet service and planning requirements in assigned area.
- May perform other duties as required in order to maintain library operations and services.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires ALA accredited MLS with one to two (1-2) years experience as an Archivist. Second Masters degree or doctorate preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises two full time employees and other temporary workers as required.