Position Title:Head Track and Field Cross Country Coach/Instructor
Purpose of Position
To provide leadership for the combined men‚??s and women‚??s track/cross country program; to administer and promote the combined program within the University mission; serve as a dynamic instructor (non-tenure) in the Health and Human Performance Department within the College of Education and Human Services.
- Teach assigned courses in the Fitness and Recreational Activity Program that may include team and individual sports and courses related to personal fitness, or other courses in Health and Human Performance as assigned.
- Participate on various departments within the Department of Health and Human Performance as assigned.
- Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program, to include adhering to all departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the University, the Lone Star Conference and the NCAA.
- Advises and counsels with student athletes in Cross Country and Track & Field regarding obligations to comply with all University, LSC, and NCAA rules and regulations related to financial aid and eligibility, as well as personal conduct and appearance; Responsible for LSC/NCAA rules and regulations and submitting documentation as required by LSC/NCAA.
- Identifies potential recruits through use of performance lists, video tapes, coaches’ recommendations and national results. Coordinates contacts with recruits and their families. Meets with unsolicited potential walk-on students athletes and their families.
- Participates in collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent teams and assists in designing race plans and strategies. Attends coaches’ preparatory meetings and implements strategies resulting from these meetings.
- Provides counseling of team members in Cross Country and Track & Field in academic, disciplinary and personal matters including consulting with the Student Services personnel and other University administrators to resolve problems.
- Assist with coordinating community service and outreach activities for Track & Field Cross Country student athletes.
- Assists with development of competition schedules, to include interfacing with both departmental and University administrators as needed.
- Represents the athletic department and Department of Health and Human Performance at professional, civic, charitable and alumni events as requested.
- Travels with Cross Country and Track & Field team to competitions to coach the competition and monitor student athletes conduct.
- Administer program budget, analyze funding needs, and plan fundraising activities to subsidize athletic program. Be accountable for budgetary matters (i.e. expense accounts, mileage reports).
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires Master‚??s Degree and two (2) years coaching experience, preferably at the College or Jr. College level. Requires valid drivers license. Computer skills, knowledge of NCAA rules, teaching experience in physical education or health preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Assistant coaches, GA‚??s, student workers