Position Title:HVAC Technician III
Reports To:HVAC Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Insures proper operation of all heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment and provides preventative maintenance for said equipment.
- Trains and guides HVAC I and II technicians in the safe operation of all boiler systems and HVAC operations.
- Responsible for the actual inventory storage of refrigerant i.e. determines where refrigerant will be stored and how.
- Determines the necessity of parts and other equipment for replacement and/or repair of equipment to maintain continued operation of HVAC equipment.
- Accesses Energy Management System (EMS) computer system and edits the system to control campus building environments and conserve energy.
- Recommends energy efficient equipment for replacement of out-dated and/or inoperable units.
- Maintains adequate inventory levels of water treatment chemicals for safe and effective use in water cooling towers and boiler operations.
- Contacts and recommends water treatment chemical companies for inventory and delivery of product. Monitors chemical balance within water cooling towers.
- Leads operations of spring cleaning efforts for chillers and summer/fall maintenance of boilers.
- Documents training of individuals for safety records and HVAC seminars. Records all maintenance and preventative maintenance of HVAC repairs and replacement equipment for future reference.
- Assists in the prioritizing of work orders and their distribution to HVAC technicians I and II.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and trade school certification or HVAC training. Requires five to seven (5-7) years job related experience with one to two (1-2) years supervisory experience preferred. Requires a refrigerant recovery license. Knowledge of electrical controls (HVAC equipment), plumbing, and mechanical repairs is required. Must be able to perform job duties with little or no supervision. Must have extensive knowledge of controls for the safe operation of HVAC equipment. Requires work after hours, on weekends and on holidays in situations of emergency.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervisory responsibility in the absence of HVAC Supervisor.