Position Title:Institutional Research Analyst-IR/Reporting & Data Warehouse
Reports To:Associate Provost Institutional Effectiveness/Planning
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to provide technical, programming, analytical and reporting services to all units of the university. Major responsibilities are to: develop and maintain databases, programs and documentation to ensure timely and accurate reporting of data to state and federal agencies; to respond to requests for data analysis and reports to support decision making and to coordinate the university reporting calendar.
- Create and maintain Institutional Portfolio Data and Institutional Research and Assessment Web Site.
- Assist in maintaining the IEP and assessment web page. Maintain office documentation on programs and procedures used for the web site. Develop web-based site for disseminating information on existing projects and assessment plans to the university community, incorporate web-based reporting with On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP). Works with variety of specialized software packages which may include working with Banner and developing programs to merge data. Work with academic departments, the academic senate, the colleges and all administrative offices to ensure web site information and documents are up to date.
- Develop and test SAS, Oracle, etc reporting programs to generate reports and extract data from existing university databases to SAS to facilitate data dissemination. Develop SAS programs to access archival census data files for the enrollment, faculty, etc data to ensure timely responses to ad hoc requests for data.
- Serve as technical liaison with various software and databases. Identify reporting and operational issues and make recommendations including processes surrounding data collection and analysis.
- Ad Hoc Report liaison with Faculty and Staff & Production of Publications.
- Create SAS programs for ad hoc reports. Coordinate fact book production. Work with campus and external community to develop reports in a timely and accurate manner. Maintain office documentation on programs and procedures used in creating the University Fact Book/eFact Book.
- Federal & State Report Scheduling & Coordination. Work with various university offices to ensure valid and timely submission of CB and Federal reports.
- Monitors university master reporting calendar. Communicates with all academic departments, deans offices, registrar, enrollment services, etc., regarding data submission to ensure accurate and timely submission of reports.
- Strategic Planning & Assessment Support.
- Compiles reports and statistical data for use in university planning efforts, including web searches, enrollment projections, collection of population data, enrollment trend analysis, and environmental scanning data. Prepared presentations for planning and other purposes using PowerPoint.
- Database Administration for the Enrollment Reporting.
- Assist staff to develop scheduled programs in a variety of languages to successfully meet Federal reporting requirements for the Chancellor’s Office. Serve as liaison with CB, Central IT, IEP, and college and department users to obtain information for submitting timely and accurate reports. Work with Enrollment Services contacts to update student data. Run edits of data to be submitted to CB and work with Enrollment Services to make corrections to final submission. Other related tasks as required.
- System Maintenance.
- Develop hardware and software specifications and make recommendations regarding purchases to the department, maintain departmental servers. Serve as troubleshooting resource for software and hardware problems.
- Other duties as assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Bachelors Management & Information Systems. Masters/ MIS or MBA equivalent Technical knowledge: SAS or equivalent experience in a business intelligence environment. Expert level in all MS Office products.Thorough knowledge of the principles of management and organization; and of administrative survey principles and techniques and skill in their applications.Knowledge of assessment, planning, and institutional research. Technical knowledge: SAS or equivalent experience in a business intelligence environment. Expert level in all MS Office products. Thorough knowledge of the principles of management and organization; and of administrative survey principles and techniques and skill in their applications. Knowledge of assessment, planning, and institutional research. Ability to plan, organize, conduct and participate in major administrative and analytical studies. Ability to see the interrelationships within and among the various administrative and fiscal programs on the campus. Ability to approach problems objectively Ability to present findings and recommendations clearly and diplomatically and to reconcile, to the extent possible, various divergent points of view. Ability to utilize complex statistical and various analytical research methods. Ability to draw conclusions and develop recommendations Ability to prepare written reports in proper English. Ability to develop and maintain high level contacts including the leading of meetings and negotiations
Supervision of Personnel