Position Title:International Student Advisor I
Department:International Student Services
Purpose of Position
Assists with providing support to international students. Assists office leadership in providing services to international students, faculty and staff. Actively promotes teamwork and respect for people of diverse backgrounds in the workplace and in all interactions with internal and external clientele. Communicates verbally and in writing with customers of diverse backgrounds. Has access to protected information under FERPA and HIPAA. The scope is broad because it ultimately requires an understanding of federal, agency and university regulations and procedures as well as international student advising issues.
- Serves and advises international students on various standard issues impacting them, such as personal, financial needs, academic issues, immigration, health insurance and health care, travel, taxes and scholarships, grants, and loans that might be available.
- Assists with the department’s on-call emergency response system.
- Serves as Designated School Official (DSO) and/or Responsible or Alternate Responsible Officer ( RO or ARO).
- Assists with maintenance of international student records, databases, and admissions related processing and other advising related administrative tasks, such as preparing memos, drafting correspondence, researching and preparing reports, estimated expenses, federal documents, and applications.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of student programming activities such as new student check-in and orientations, seminars, special topic workshops and joint programming with other campus or community entities.
- Serves as a member of a team focused on one specialized area within the office, which could include areas such as student programming, immigration advising, health insurance, publications, admissions, and/or financial aid.
- Serves on committees or teams in collaborative efforts as required.
- Advises international student organizations.
- Assists with continuous improvement efforts in the office.
- Travels occasionally off campus to fulfill office business responsibilities.
- Assists in coordination of efforts between various on and off campus entities.
- Assists in tracking/updating spending and financial accounts.
- Assists in the preparation of department budget, makes purchases and track expenditures.
- Secures travel reservations, prepares travel documents and vouchers and processes requests for travel reimbursement.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a BachelorÔ??s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience (8 years). Some experience in the follow areas; program development, or academic or related services; and providing services for people of diverse cultural backgrounds, experiences and ages. MasterÔ??s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred (10 years). Experience with the following preferred; advising, working within an organization/office setting, international student needs and issues, and international travel or residence. Excellent communication skills (written and oral). Good organizational skills. Computer knowledge and experience (including word processing). Ability to comprehend and communicate technical information effectively and diplomatically. Ability to effectively communicate with international people. Ability to work as a member of a team. Active member of Natnional Association of Foreign Student Advisors, Association of International Educators or other international organizations preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers and graduate assistants.