Position Title:Lab Supervisor
Department:CAS (College of Arts and Sciences)
Purpose of Position
Responsible for supervising and training all laboratory personnel, track inventory, purchase supplies and equipment and maintain current MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet). Position is responsible for supporting research projects for all the sciences.
- Ensures materials and supplies are available for laboratory classes in the Science Building including but not limited to biological, environmental, chemistry and physics lab.
- Conducts annual inventory of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Works with vendors to ensure the best delivery prices for all laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Orders, tracks and receives all supplies and equipment for all laboratories.
- Assures laboratories are clean and organized by assigning specific duties to student workers.
- Supervises student workers and graduate assistants coordinating their responsibilities to cover all labs.
- Teaches and monitors student in the preparation of chemical regents for all laboratories.
- Performs monthly safety checks and works with the Risk Management team to ensure compliance.
- Maintains security through key records and assigning and maintaining records of equipment and lab materials.
- Coordinates with required departments for repairs, maintenance and upgrades for the Science Building.
- Works with Training and Risk Management to ensure safety training requirements are met.
- Assists with formal bids for purchases with HEF account.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Bachelors degree with a major in a science field. Masters is preferred. Supervisor experience is required. Requires strong laboratory expertise, computer skills with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises graduate assistants, student employee and other assigned personnel.