Position Title:Lead Teacher
Department:Children's Learning Center
Purpose of Position
Responsible for providing infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers with a safe, clean, happy learning environment while tending to each child's individual needs.
- Provides a safe, educationally sound classroom environment.
- Handles discipline promptly and in accordance with stated policy on discipline.
- Reports to Director any suspected cases of child abuse and/or child neglect.
- Plans and implements an appropriate curriculum and activities for the group of children in classroom.
- Provides for the physical well-being of this specific group of children, including breakfast, lunch, snack, toileting, rest, and playtime.
- Gears the program to the needs of the individual child with concerns for his/her interests, handicaps, special talents, individual pace and style of learning, and cultural background.
- Assumes an equal share of the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff, keeping classroom clean, neat, and orderly.
- Attends all staff meetings and participates in recommended training programs, conferences, courses, and other aspects of professional growth.
- Plans and implements methods of establishing a positive liaison with parents of the students.
- Holds parent conferences when necessary.
- Works with and provides guidance and modeling for assistant teachers, teachers aides, and student workers/volunteers.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent, college level work in child development, or early childhood education is preferred. Must be eighteen years of age and in good physical health. Must have interest in working with young children and display qualities necessary in working with them. Must be sensitive and mature individual who is able to relate well to both children and adults. Must have ability to obtain Child Development Associate within eight (8) months of hire. Eight (8) hours pre-service training in child cared preferred. Though not a requirement, applicants with experience in working with children will be sought and given priority in selections.
Supervision of Personnel
Student workers, and volunteer/practicum students.