Position Title:Library Assistant I-Interlibrary Loan/Microforms
Reports To:Interlibrary Loan Specialist
Purpose of Position
Responsible for updating and processing of interlibrary loan lending requests. Assists in supervision and daily activities of microforms department..
- Prepares daily batch and updates OCLC interlibrary loan requests from other libraries.
- Utilizes Ariel technology, scanning and transmitting documents to other libraries via the Internet.
- Transmits electronic articles to individuals.
- Prepares materials received from other libraries for our patrons’ use, and notifies patrons when materials arrive.
- Orders materials and responds to requests by face or mail, requiring utilization of different protocol.
- Supervises student workers and graduate assistants in daily office procedures. Directs in locating and pulling from shelves all requested items, processing, packaging and shipping items.
- Ships and receives materials via U.S. Mail and the TexShare Courier.
- Provides assistance and considerable advice to faculty, students, and other libraries regarding submission of interlibrary loans, estimating time for delivery of requested or lent materials to borrows and requestors.
- Monitors and maintains office supplies.
- Assists patrons in accessing and printing of Microforms materials.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and one year of library, clerical or direct customer service experience. Thirty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for experience. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers and one(1) graduate assistant.