Position Title:Library Assistant II- Acquisitions
Reports To:Acquisitions Librarian
Purpose of Position
Orders and receives library materials, tracks funds in the accounting module of the Library‚??s integrated library system (ILS) and University‚??s accounting management system and monitors status of orders in the Acquisitions department of Gee Library.
- Orders library materials by matching requests for library resources to information about materials and verifies price, checking the availability of materials and determining best place where each item can be purchased. If necessary, directly communicates with vendor or publisher.
- Creates an order record for each item in the acquisitions module of the ILS. Orders identified items with a vendor or publisher.
- Receives library materials in ILS making corrections to order record as needed. Contacts vendor if there is a problem with order, returning items if necessary. Balances ILS receipt records with invoice and submits invoices with verifying purchase order to Assistant to the Director for payment.
- Assists Acquisitions Librarian in resolving payment problems reported by vendors by researching payment records, communication with Fiscal Office, communicating with vendor. Documents communication regarding resolution.
- Tracks funds to avoid placing orders in depleted funds; runs reports from ILS to produce purchase orders to accompany invoices; maintains Microsoft Access database and files paperwork.
- Creates bibliographic records for orders: downloads MARC order records from various databases or OCLC and uploads these records into the ILS; creates short informational records in ILS for items which have no available record from any other source; adds. Proxy to records when needed.
- Assists in weeding process by supervising students and withdrawing records of weeded items from ILS.
- Reports time worked for student assistants according to library guidelines.
- Trains and supervises student assistants in routine departmental tasks. May make hiring and/or disciplinary recommendations to the Acquisitions Librarian.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and two or more years of library experience. Sixty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for library experience. Must have ability to maintain records, train and supervise student assistants, and make minor decisions in accordance with departmental policies. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises students in routine, departmental tasks.