Position Title:Library Assistant II Circulation
Reports To:Access Services Manager
Purpose of Position
Responsible for Circulation Department customer service and coordination of the Library Reserve Book Room.
Reserve Room Duties
- Creates fast bibliographic record for books and periodicals not included in Gee Library holdings in order that these items can be placed in the reserve collection. Links items that have bibliographic records to indicate additional copies on reserve.
- Secures all necessary information from faculty members for reserve requests and processes theses requests in a timely manner to include retrieval of library owned items.
- Compiles and updates the on-line listing of all reserve materials.
- Monitors overdue reserve materials from reserve book room, contacting patrons when necessary.
- Prepares reserve materials for security system and makes necessary changes to each reserve item record to reflect in the ON-LINE catalog the new location as “reserve”.
- Provides oversight of all library books as well as personal copies of materials that comprise the reserve collection. Periodically checks reserve shelves for correct order and condition to maximize use.
- Returns copyrighted periodicals to faculty members at the end of each semester and mails a listing to each faculty member including his or her current reserved materials. Requests renewal or removal of reserve materials
- Maintains a source file taken from the bibliographic record on all copyrighted materials to check for infringements. Prepares an adequate supply of reserve copyright law interpretation sheets for distribution to faculty and, summarizes the guidelines as they affect reserve materials. Communicates any needed information on the copyright law and guideline as interpreted for educational purposes.
- Updates Reserve Procedure Manual as needed.
Circulation Desk Duties
- Responsible for operation of Circulation department in absence of Circulation Coordinator to include opening the Library each weekday and supervising student workers.
- Assists patrons at the circulation desk; providing directional as well as circulation related assistance. Provides specific assistance with Reserve material.
- Responsible for supervision of Microforms Department on weekends.
- Manages study room assignments.
- Utilizes Circulation Automated System through data entry to create and update student library records.
- Charges and discharges library and reserve materials.
- Charges and discharges non-circulating library material when special permission is granted.
- Utilizes Banner (Student Information System) to remove holds from student records.
- Directs security alarm procedures to deter theft of library material.
- Trains and supervises student assistants in Circulation Department policies and procedures; responsible for the 3rd floor stack area; hires, trains and supervises 2 student workers for this area.
- Collects money for fines on overdue books, reserve late charges and lost library materials.
- Supervises emergency procedures, such as fire/smoke alarm and tornado warning in the absence of Circulation Coordinator.
- Creates, periodically updates and prints library brochure handout.
- Assists patrons with copier service, LION cash cards, and CMC.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and two or more years of library experience. Sixty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for library experience. Must have ability to maintain records train and supervise student assistants, and make minor decisions in accordance with departmental policies. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise student workers.