Position Title:Library Assistant II Circulation
Reports To:Access Service Manager
Purpose of Position
Responsible for operation of Circulation Department all day Sunday and after 5:00pm Monday through Thursday. Opens library on Sunday.
- Trains and supervises student assistants in Circulation Department policies and procedures. Responsible for 5th floor stack area; hires, trains and supervises two (2) student workers for this area.
- Assists patrons at the circulation desk by providing both directional and circulation related assistance.
- Manages use of student lockers. Verifies eligibility, assigns locker and issues keys. Processes locker renewals each semester. Blocks patrons if lockers are not renewed or keys not returned. Reorders locker key replacements. Checks lockers weekly for materials not properly charged.
- Supervises emergency procedures, such as fire/smoke alarms and tornado warning, in absence of Circulation Coordinator. Reports emergency building maintenance requests to University Police on Sunday and Monday through Thursday after 5:00pm.
- Responsible for supervision of Microforms Department daily after 5:00pm and weekends.
- Searches book stacks for missing books and adds books to missing item list. May participate in the shifting of books and identified damaged/mutilated books in need of repair and routes to bindery.
- Responsible for courtesy card system. Verifies that courtesy card records are created and correct. Maintains application file and processes delinquent courtesy patrons.
- Monitors incoming Government Documents for proper distribution.
- Assists the Catalog Dept. with subject authority control of the library’s online catalog. Performs subject authority control of new subject headings added to the library’s online catalog, using knowledge of library of Congress (LC) subject heading and machine readable cataloging (MARC) standards. Utilizes Microsoft Work, OCLC Connexion authority database, multiple modules within WorkFlows (Cataloging, Utilities, Reports).
- Issues TexShare cards, verified enrollment, and obtains signature and approval from Circulation Coordinator. Submits statistics annually to Circulation Coordinator reporting TexShare card usage.
- Keeps adequate change supply. Oversees copy machine maintenance after 5:00pm Monday through Thursday and Sundays. Assists patrons with use of Lion card and CMC.
- Utilizes integrated library system through data entry to create and update student library records.
- Charges and discharges library and reserve materials.
- Retrieves materials located in compact shelving areas.
- Collects money for fines on overdue books, reserve late charges, and lost library materials.
- Maintains articles lost in the library.
- Directs security alarms procedures to deter theft of library material.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and one year of library, clerical, or direct customer service experience. Thirty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for experience. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises student workers