Position Title:Library Assistant II Metadata and Cataloging
Reports To:Cataloging Librarian
Purpose of Position
Contributes to the building, cataloging, and maintenance of the library‚??s Digital Collections. Performs copy cataloging of monographic library materials. Performs subject and name authority control and other maintenance of the library‚??s online catalog. Assists with the processing of library materials.
- Transfers digital objects into the library’s Digital Collections, using CONTENTdm software. Creates original metadata records corresponding to those digital objects, utilizing specialized knowledge of Dublin Core coding, local system coding, and international cataloging standards.
- Performs quality control of the library’s Digital Collections. Proofreads and edits metadata in all collections.
- Maintains the controlled vocabularies of the collections within CONTENTdm.
- Performs copy cataloging of monographic materials purchased through the OCLC WorldCat Cataloging Partners program. Proofreads vendor-supplied records against materials received, verifying proper coding, accuracy, and adherence to international standards. Edits inaccurate records. Reports major discrepancies to the Head of Cataloging.
- Performs authority control of Library of Congress name and subject headings. Downloads authority records into the online catalog from an international database, using OCLC Connexion. Deletes obsolete authority records from the online catalog and overlays updated authority records. Edits name and subject headings on bibliographic records to correspond to authority records.
- Performs online catalog maintenance. Creates, edits, or deletes bibliographic and item records in the integrated library system, utilizing specialized knowledge of MARC coding, local system coding, and international cataloging standards.
- Assists with the physical processing of library materials, including materials in the K-12 textbook collection and materials with special formats, such as audio cassettes, videocassettes, kits, and computer media. Applies barcodes, prepares special containers, prepares and applies spine labels and other specialized labels, and applies security devices and property stamps.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and two or more years of library experience. Sixty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for library experience. Must have ability to maintain records, train and supervise student assistants, and make minor decisions in accordance with departmental policies. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
May supervise student workers.