Position Title:Library Assistant II Serials
Reports To:Serials Librarian
Purpose of Position
Responsible for preparing and pre-processing serials and periodicals, and performs cataloging on a portion of those materials. The scope of work includes copy cataloging, pre-processing and additions to and updating of the integrated library system (ILS). Orders and receives library materials, services, and databases and tracks funds in Library Integrated System and University Accounting System and monitors status of orders in the Serials Department of Gee Library.
- Checks in periodicals and newspapers; maintains MARC holdings statements in the ILS.
- Keeps claiming for periodicals accurate and up to date.
- Prepares serials and some monographic publications for processing. Identifies the item as a serial or monograph, formatting call numbers according to standardized and local rules.
- Applies stamps, marking, and any notes or flags needed to ensure that the item goes to the correct location. Identifies items which require updates of the ILS or OCLC database.
- Barcodes items and adds them to the ILS.
- Identifies and analyzes problems in the ILS: call number and pattern problems or problems relating to the receiving, checking-in, and processing of serials.
- Performs basic number series copy cataloging. Uses knowledge of accepted cataloging rules, Library of Congress (LC) subject headings, LC classification schedules, and MARC standards. Selects bibliographic records in the OCLC database, exports records into the online catalog and adds holding information as appropriate to the OCLC database.
- Verifies series, making corrections as needed. Alerts serials librarian to any changes made by LC in cataloging, call numbers, and any other discrepancies in bibliographic records.
- Prepares periodicals and books for commercial bindery. Processes return shipments of bound periodicals.
- Receives library materials.
- Resolves minor serials acquisitions problems such as identifying overdue orders and communicates with vendors and publishers regarding the periodical issues involved.
- Distributes processed materials to the appropriate library locations.
- Maintains the Current Periodicals area, including collecting usage statistics.
- Participates in hiring and evaluating student assistants. Supervises, trains, and coordinates daily work of student assistants.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and two or more years of library experience. Sixty or more hours of higher education credit may substitute for library experience. Must have ability to maintain records, train and supervise student assistants, and make minor decisions in accordance with departmental policies. Strong communication, interpersonal, and computer skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises student workers under the direction of the Head, Serials Librarian.