Position Title:Manager of Student Information Systems (SIS)
Purpose of Position
Manages, plans and coordinates the maintenance and the integration of Student Information Systems with other university databases. Manages the SIS programming staff; including assigning and prioritizing of tasks, managing personnel issues, and adapting to changes in procedures and priorities. Determines specific needs and requirements to meet goals as defined by the users of the SIS. Assigns specific tasks to support personnel to achieve a given goal. Plans and implements the SIS security structures. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director with considerable latitude for independent judgment.
- Supervises, schedules and assigns creation and modifications of programs to available programmers and monitors their progress until the programs are placed in production. Coordinates flow of work to ensure continuity. Revises operation schedule to adjust for delays.
- Installs and maintains the SIS modules purchased from SCT including major software releases, sub-releases, and bug fixes.
- Assures the timely and accurate production of required reports for Federal, State and other external agencies.
- Develops and provides detailed proposals for changes in programs, routines, and quality control standards to improve computer operating efficiency. Prepares and reviews production, operating and down time records and reports.
- Works with the University community to plan modifications and/or enhancements to the SIS to improve reporting and managerial capabilities. Assists users in retrieving information from the SIS database for microcomputer applications.
- Performs annual appraisals of SIS application programming staff. In addition, facilitates communication amongst programming staff.
- Monitors automated tracking system of open programming requests to insure quality of service.
- Develops and enforces SIS application programming standards.
- Assists in the planning and development of World Wide Web and Telephone based applications for student records access.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a BachelorÔ??s degree. Information systems or computer science degree preferred. Ten to fifteen (10-15) years experience designing, writing, and testing COBOL programs in a production environment is required. Five (5) years experience in a CICC production environment preferred. Five (5) years experience in a VSE production environment preferred. Five (5) years working with Student Information Systems in a university environment is preferred. Three (3) years experience maintaining SCT IA Student Information System is preferred. Experience using VSE/ESA JCL, XEDIT, CMS or REXX is desirable. Experience using microcomputer databases, spreadsheets, and word-processing packages is desirable. Well-developed analytical, verbal and written communication skills are required. Ability to present recommendations in an effective manner; demonstrate subtlety and tact in resolving interpersonal issues; and demonstrate patience and meticulousness in the development of implementation plans, strategies and priorities. Willingness and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise five (5) programmers.