Reports To:Transportation Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Repairs and maintains machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, and pneumatic tools, etc.
- Writes work orders on maintenance or repairs performed for fleet manager. Maintains written records of repairs and preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Observes mechanical devices in operation and listens to their sounds to locate causes of trouble.
- Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts.
- Informs other departments of repair parts or stock to be purchased from their accounts. Orders repair parts and stock for the maintenance garage.
- Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections.
- Performs metal lathe work when needed.
- Performs gas and arc welding and metal fabrication.
- Adjusts functional parts of devices and control instruments.
- Repairs or replaces defective parts. Installs special functional and structural parts in devices. Lubricates and cleans parts.
- Performs seasonal checks on emergency generators for maintenance and repairs.
- Performs small engine repair (2 cycle and 4 cycle), minor and major vehicle and equipment repair, and vehicle and equipment body repair and painting.
- Starts devices to test their performance.
- Sets up and operates lathe, drill press, grinder, and other metalworking tools to make and repair parts.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of two (2) years job related experience. Requires a ‚??State Inspection Certificate‚?Ě, (or be able to obtain within 120 days). Requires a minimum of two (2) years experience in welding (oxygen-acetylene; arc and mig), and metal fabrication. Must have two (2) years experience in diesel and gasoline engine systems, and 2 & 4 cycle engine maintenance & repair. Preference will be given to those with proven experience in use of vehicle diagnostic scanner tools, and experience in maintaining and repairing DC electrical systems (12; 24; 36; 48; 72 volt).
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Mechanic Assistant and Laborer I.