Position Title:News Director
Reports To:General Manager
Purpose of Position
Responsible for covering, reporting, and/or broadcasting local, regional, and state news anjud information in the highest standards of quality for 88.9 KETR and ketr.org. This person also contributes to additional KETR functions, both on-air and off-air.
- General: Gathers and disseminates news, sports, weather, and other information for air on 88.9 KETR and at ketr.org. This includes producing live, recorded, and written newscasts, scripts, and photos.
- On-Air: Prepares and delivers timely live newscasts in morning and afternoon drive, as well as recorded newscasts during other times. Acts as board operator and host of Morning Edition. Acts as anchor during live wall-to-wall severe weather coverage. Plans, directs, and acts as producer and host/anchor/reporter during station-produced special news programming, including, but not limited to, local and regional election coverage, breaking news events, select local and regional meetings and press conferences, and other news events.
- Web & Social: Directs and maintains each aspect of news content delivery and presentation both on the air and at ketr.org, including oversight for dual purpose content (rewriting air for web, web for air, etc.,) creation/implementation of visual and interactive web elements, and general direction of news-related social media presences.
- Production: Produces audio-rich newscasts and podcasts, as well as public service announcements, promotional announcements, and public affairs programs on-air and at ketr.org. Conducts interviews with local, regional and state newsmakers, and gathers audio and sound bytes for newscasts.
- Public Relations: Establishes and maintains contacts with community, civic, political, and educational leaders, and other sources, and works to develop new contacts and working relationships in order to benefit the station, either through the news effort or other means.
- Personnel Management/Curriculum: Supervises, critiques, and develops news staff and other station personnel (paid, volunteer, and student practicum/interns). With limited assistance, develops and carries out station-based curriculum and manages overall experience for broadcast student interns. Works with academic mass media department to implement assessment measures.
- Promotional Appearances: Participates in the planning and execution of multiple annual station events, as well as other appearances, and interacts with the public on behalf of 88.9, ketr.org, and Texas A&M University-Commerce.
- Development: Assists in planning and implementation of station membership campaigns and pledge drives, including on-air pitching and related appearances.
- Station Relations: Seeks every possible means of improving the news operation and informs and consults with the General Manager regarding news related strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues, and opportunities. Logs transmitter readings. Creates quarterly ‘issues’ report for submission to station’s public file.
The job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services. Occasionally required to work extended hours and weekends, and will rotate on weekend on-call list for severe weather coverage. May be required to work on some holidays.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s of Science degree in Journalism, Broadcasting or related field. and two to three (2-3) years broadcast journalism and/or newsroom experience. One to two (1-2) years experience producing and delivering live newscasts. Requires Familiarity with the following software titles: ENCO Presenter, Drupal. Proficiency in the following software titles: Adobe Audition, Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to write and deliver news for multiple audiences, including on-air, online, and social media. Prefer one to two (1-2) years experience in Public Media newsgathering/delivery. Four plus (4+) years journalism and/or newsroom experience, including on-air responsibilities preferred. Completion of Knight-funded NPR Digital Newsroom training preferred.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises two (2) part-time news staff and two to three (2-3) student workers.