Position Title:Painter II
Reports To:Carpenter Forman/Utilities/Construction Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Coordinates activities of workers engaged in mixing paint, preparing surface of object to be painted, and painting object.
- Reads work order or receives instructions from supervisor regarding painting.
- Smoothes surfaces and removes old paint from surfaces to prepare surfaces for painting (taping baseboards, cleaning area, moving furniture, covering floors, etc.).
- Fills nail holes, cracks, and joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other filler.
- Selects premixed paints, or mixes required portions of pigment, oil, and thinning and drying substances to prepare paint that matches specified colors.
- Removes fixtures such as pictures and electric switchcovers from walls prior to painting.
- Spreads dropcloths over floors and room furnishings, and covers surfaces such as baseboards, door frames, and windows with masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
- Paints surfaces with brushes, spray gun, or paint rollers.
- Simulates wood grain, marble, or tile effects.
- Applies paint with cloth, brush, sponge, or fingers to create special effects.
- Erects scaffolding or sets up ladders to perform tasks above ground level.
- Mixes paint with tint formulas.
- Operates airless and conventional spray guns. Disassembles and repairs airless and conventional spray guns.
- Operates a striping machine to paint crosswalks, streets, and parking lots.
- Coordinates schedules of classrooms and offices to be painted. Determines priorities of jobs to be performed. Makes decisions pertaining to changes or problems arising in different job situations.
- Inspects painted surfaces for paint coverage, flow of paint, and color quality.
- Measures thickness and viscosity of paint applied to objects.
- Studies production schedules and estimates worker hour requirements for completion of job assignment. Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules. Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product. Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of shop, department, or work crew. Analyzes and recommends suggestions to resolve work problems, or assists in solving work problems.
- Suggests plans to motivate workers to achieve work goals.
- Estimates, requisitions, and inspects materials.
- May interpret company policies and workers and enforces safety regulations. May interpret specification and job orders.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent with three to four (3-4) years of experience. Must have the ability to use airless spray equipment, spray gun, striping machine, hydraulic lift, paint brush and paint roller. Must have the ability to match painted surfaces with formulas. Must have experience in finishing and refinishing stained wood surfaces.
Supervision of Personnel
Assists in the lead and direction of Painter I.