Position Title:Research Technician
Reports To:Department Head of Agricultural Sciences
Purpose of Position
Responsible for routine implementation, maintenance, harvest, and collection of data for the agronomic research program.
- Implements experimental design and establishes research trials (plots) on agronomic crops including planting, fertilizing, spraying, and harvesting.
- Monitors and oversees research trial and supervises harvest operation.
- Supervises yield determinations for grain and cotton plots which includes weighing, moisture testing and ginning.
- Weighs and measures chemicals, seed and insecticides using scales, volumetric apparatus seed counter, etc.
- Plants, nurtures, and harvests agronomic and entomological (pest management) research plots.
- Operates combine, tractor and other field equipment as required.
- Responsible for cleaning, servicing, calibrating, and general maintenance of equipment and laboratory apparatus.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a B.S. in Biology and related experience. Experience operating combine and tractor and chemistry knowledge helpful.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise six (6) to eight (8) students.