Position Title:Security Officer (Unarmed, Non-Commissioned)
Reports To:Shift Supervisor
Purpose of Position
Responsible for serving and protecting the university community from illegal activity and provides a high degree of visibility of security presence.
- Patrols designated areas by foot or bicycle to prevent, discover and deter the commission of crime.
- Reports by communicating with Public Safety Offices to respond to matters requiring police
- Reports all irregularities, emergencies or suspicious activity to the Police Department
- Provides a detailed written report on witnessing any criminal activity reported to Police Officers.
- Enforces compliance with university rules and regulations.
- Issues parking citations, directs flow of traffic and parking vehicles.
- Patrols buildings and grounds on foot or bicycle to check for fires, water leaks, and general building security.
- Unlocks/locks buildings as required by university schedules.
- Assists office personnel in performance of duties in case of absenteeism and work break periods.
- Provides information and services to visitors, students and faculty.
- Works special events as required or scheduled by supervisor.
- Works security post as required or scheduled by supervisor.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Currently enrolled students with 15 to 20 hours college credit preferred. Requires ability to understand and apply rules, regulations, policies, procedures and laws. Computer keyboard skills are required. Requires ability to prepare reports, describing facts and events accurately. Ability to communicate effectively verbally by radio is essential. Ability to deal with individuals and critical situations in an effective manner is a must. Ability to make logical decisions based on known facts in order to safeguard the university is required. Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments to complete unsupervised work tasks is required. First four weeks of employment are on the job training and hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Background investigation and testing to include psychological examination required. May be required to submit to polygraph exam and drug testing.
Supervision of Personnel
Work under the general supervision of a sergeant or Police Officer of the department. Supervision will usually be available in person or by radio.