Position Title:Senior Buyer
Purpose of Position
Provides advanced purchasing and operation support to the department.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the department in the Director’s absence.
- Prepares bid documents for requested items required by University Procedures in order to purchase items at best value.
- Maintains vendor catalogs and State contract books and keeps them accessible to University personnel so that all departments have the most current information on contract product availability and pricing.
- Assesses bids and provides recommendation to Department Heads concerning technical compatibility, lease vs. buy, best value, etc.
- Responsible for review and accuracy of the formal bid tabulation, value assessment and final award decisions.
- Responsible for coordinating campus-wide service and maintenance contracts for University owned computers and copiers, pest control services, linen services, hazardous waste disposal services, and any other major service contracts as directed.
- Reviews purchase orders for accuracy and compliance with policies of both the CPA-Texas Procurement and Support Services and the University as requested by Director.
- Records and tracks orders as necessary in order to maintain an efficient purchasing process and to provide information on delinquent or incomplete orders.
- Serves as office manager for the Purchasing Office.
- Serves as records retention contact for the Department and is responsible or the organization of the purchasing files.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a BachelorÔ??s degree or equivalent experience in related field, MasterÔ??s degree preferred. Education may be substituted with experience on a year by year basis. Minimum of five (5) years related purchasing and/or negotiation experience. Applicant must possess good PC skills and have a considerable working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. CTP certification required or must be obtained within the first (1) year of employment. CTPM, CPM or other certifications are a plus.
Supervision of Personnel
Varied supervisory responsibility.