Position Title:Sergeant/Investigator (Criminal Investigations)
Reports To:Chief of Police
Purpose of Position
Conducts all criminal investigations and maintains criminal intelligence on behalf of the university. Assists in providing measures to prevent criminal activity on the university property. Keeps the department updated and current on new laws and mandated training . Responsible for filing cases at the criminal courts of law
- Conducts and coordinates criminal investigation, prepares timely reports in the event of serious crimes that poses a threat to the University.
- Reviews all offense reports for criminal activity, pattern and method of operations.
- Files cases in the State, County, and City courts; attends court cases as a representative.
- Maintains criminal intelligence files on suspects or suspicious persons who demonstrate a threat to the university and submit relevant cases to the Dean of Students for review(these included student handbook violations or state law violations)
- Serves as a liaison criminal investigator with the local law enforcement investigators and other campus investigators.
- Assists with crime prevention programs in order to serve the faculty, staff and student community; including programs for the dorms, the classroom for faculty members and also for public relations.
- Conducts and coordinates training programs for the department. Serves as an instructor for in-service training and other training during the year. Instructs at other police departments on occasion.
- Posts current warrants and trespass information from area departments especially ones involving students. Posts posters and design brochures, send out informational letters on different areas of crime prevention
- Assists other agencies in crime prevention programs in the local community. Advises officers of potential crime risk areas, and of reported criminal activity.
- Assists CIO in supplying the local newspaper with information that the University community needs to know involving crime on campus.
- Keeps current on all new and updated laws and informs the rest of the department.
- Serves as a notary for the University and the department.
- Assists with the data entry of offense reports, update offense reports upon completing of criminal cases.
- Acts as relief dispatcher when needed.
- Acts as on call supervisor on weekends if necessary.
- Works on a one to one basis with Counseling and Housing Departments involving legal and safety issues with students.
- Constructs arrest warrants, complaints, and search warrants regarding cases to be filed for the University.
- Works as relief patrol officer when needed.
- Participates in New Employee Orientation for Human Resources when requested.
- Works special assignments for special events. Assists with planning on occasions.
- Works off duty assignments when needed.
- Assists university personnel in investigations in different department when needed. (Administration/HR when asked).
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires high school diploma or equivalent and 40 hours college credit, BachelorÔ??s degree preferred. Five (5) years law enforcement experience required with three to five (3-5) year police supervisory experience preferred. University Campus experience preferred. Must have active T.C.L.E.O.S.E license and state mandated training. Texas drivers license and a good driving record required. Ability to understand rules, policies, procedures and laws and the ability to apply these rules. Ability to deal with individuals and critical situations in an effective manner. Background investigation and testing to include psychological examination required. May be required to submit to polygraph exam and drug testing.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise patrol personnel when needed.