Position Title:Sergeant/Shift Supervisor
Reports To:Assistant Chief
Purpose of Position
Supervises activities and personnel for shift operations. Ensures enforcement of local, state and federal laws. Responsible for coordinating activities with shift personnel to fulfill the objectives for the university police department.
- Establishes and supervises procedures for shift operations.
- Develops and maintains schedules for assigned officers.
- Serves as a Notary for the university and this department.
- Supervises on the job training of officers and assigned dispatchers.
- Maintains and monitors mileage records for patrol vehicles used on a particular shift. Maintains a record of the average miles per day for all officers.
- Locates and reports to Assistant Chief any unsafe lighting areas on the campus.
- Assists with investigations and provides follow-up on cases.
- Reviews reports written by all personnel for accuracy and completeness.
- Assists the Assistant Chief in entering reports and data in the computer for the department.
- Conducts special assignments as requested by the Assistant Chief.
- Acts as a liaison with other law enforcement agencies to ensure quality communication.
- Counsels employees concerning compliance with department policies and procedures and takes disciplinary action if required.
- Performs ALL duties of a radio dispatcher and public safety officer during absences or on special work assignment.
- Acts as on-call supervisor on weekends if necessary.
- Assists the Assistant Chief with all semester registrations in computer operations and permit sales.
- Oversees and assists with the training of new personnel in the department such as Police Officers and Dispatchers.
- Serves as licensed TCLEOSE instructor for the department.
- Serves on interview team for the hiring of new personnel if requested.
- Serves in the role of a patrol officer at any time. (Shortage of personnel or as additional personnel at events.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
High school or equivalent, 30 hours college credit required. Five (5) years of law enforcement experience to ensure the ability to understand and apply rules, regulations, policies, procedures and laws. Related bachelorÔ??s degree preferred. Computer skills, ability to communicate effectively and deal with individuals and critical situations in an effective manner helpful. Texas driverÔ??s license and a good driving record essential. Must pass a background investigation for security sensitive job. Must pass a psychological, physical exam and drug test to acquire a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standard Education (T.C.L.E.O.S.E.) license Background investigation and testing to include psychological examination required. May be required to submit to polygraph exam and drug testing.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervise six patrol positions and three dispatch positions.