Position Title:Technical Services Librarian
Reports To:Systems Librarian
Purpose of Position
Responsible for assisting library director with the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the library. Manages the traditional technical services areas of the library. Responsible for the library‚??s integrated system.
- Plans, coordinates, and manages the acquisitions, serials, and cataloging functions of the library.
- Assists the library director in formulating procedures and policy decisions.
- Serves as liaison for the library to SIRSI Corporation, to the campus computing center (CTIS), to the AMIGOS Bibliographic Council in all matters concerning the processing of materials through the OCLC network, and other vendors and agencies as necessary.
- Collects statistics concerning the materials collection and disseminates them to state and federal agencies as requested.
- Maintains oversight of the maintenance and repair of the photocopy machines, the copy card vending and reading machines, and the issuing of student ID cards.
- Manages and maintains the SIRSI integrated system. This includes monitoring daily image backups, performing standalone backups as needed, reorganizing files to maintain system response time, and transaction file maintenance.
- Plans and implements new releases of SIRSI software as they become available. Installs and tests SIRSI and other software on the library’s NT Server.
- Maintains personal and public user accounts on the library computer, giving each the necessary authority to perform needed tasks while remaining mindful of system security requirements.
- Uses Report Writer (third-party software) to design programs for extracting statistical data for reports and informational data for departmental book lists, and other requests. Also uses this software to identify areas of concern in the maintenance of the database.
- Installs new releases of OCLC software on library PC’s and maintains the SIRSI/OCLC interface for downloading bibliographic records.
- Works with counterparts in Public Services area to coordinate local and remote access to locally mounted databases and to those available through the Internet.
- Maintains oversight of library web pages and end user instructions.
- Participates in planning for further development of all technology offerings of the library.
- Attends meetings, participates in special projects and serves on committees relating to the library, the university and consortia.
- Maintains professional expertise appropriate to meet service and planning requirements in area assigned.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a MLS from an ALA-accredited program. A high level of expertise and broad knowledge of library automation is essential. Organizational, communication, training, and supervisory skills are necessary.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises four (4) librarians, , and one (1) Administrative Assistant I. In addition, indirectly supervises three (3) Library Assistant I‚??s, three (3) Library Assistant II‚??s, three (3) GA‚??s and approximately 20 student assistants.