Position Title:Technology Librarian/ Library Webmaster
Reports To:Systems Librarian
Purpose of Position
Performs professional and technical work associated with the installation, maintenance, and upgrading of computing hardware and software in the library for librarians, staff, and public users and maintains in-house database programs used in conjunction with library operations. Develops Web-based approaches to provide access to library services and resources and facilitates planning and decision making, resolve problems, implement projects, improve customer service and ensure smooth delivery of services.
- Implements current technology hardware and software used to support the Library’s technology needs.
- Collaborates with public services and Technology Services personnel in development of access strategies.
- Plans for Library technology needs with Technology Services and Library Technology personnel.
- Serves as backup for EZProxy configuration, log, and password files.
- Acts as primary liaison to Technology Services and other vendors and agencies as necessary.
- Administers personal and public user accounts on library staff computers.
- Provides first and second level diagnosis and problem resolution in support of personal computing systems, client network software and applications on library equipment.
- Installs, maintains, and updates computers, printers, peripherals, operating systems and applications for library equipment.
- Logs complex problems or requests for service, descriptions and resolutions with Technology Services.
- Communicates with vendors, users, management, and Technology Services staff in execution of job functions, and in relation to work status.
- Assists Systems Librarian in use of 3rd party software relating to the integrated library system.
- Evaluates new hardware and software upgrades, identifying strength, weaknesses and potential benefits to the Library.
- Develops and maintains database programs to assist in the library’s operation (e.g., library surveys program).
- Collaborates with librarians and library staff to articulate a vision and develop strategic plans for the library Web site and We-based services.
- As Webmaster of the library Web site, coordinates content development, evaluates onlin content and services, develops guidelines and standards, and manages the daily maintenance and support of the library Web pages.
- Contributes to virtual service offerings such as the Web OPAC, digital collections, federated searching, open URL resolver.
- Serves on library and university committees as appointed.
- Writes documentation of system procedures, guidelines, programs and program modifications for support staff.
- Provides expertise and support for library staff developing Web-based instruction.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Supervision of Personnel
One Library Specialist-Technology and one Library Assistant II - Technology