Position Title:Trio, Student Support Services Instructor/Counselor
Purpose of Position
Responsible for providing counseling and other academic support services to Trio, Student Support Services students.
- Implements the applicant intake process and assigns participants to services that best fit their needs.
- Daily maintains a minimum of 172 student files.
- Provides cultural enrichment opportunities for participants.
- Coordinates classroom presentations and provides program presentations at university functions and activities (i.e. Orientation, Mane Event and Family Day) to inform student of SSS Services.
- Assists participants with pre-registration, registration and academic advising.
- Provides assistance with special services (i.e. taping, test taking, referral counseling, pre-registration, registration, academic advising) for learning disabled and visually impaired students.
- Assists participants as they move through the Financial Aid process.
- Serves as student/instructor liaison to ensure students make satisfactory academic progress and serves on assigned university committees.
- Assists with tutor training.
- Participates in state and regional conferences and in-service sessions conducted by Trio related bodies and university faculty and staff to remain knowledgeable of all procedures and requirements of providing Trio and related services.
- Maintains membership with Texas Association of Student Assistance Programs (TASSSP), Southwest Association of Student Assistance Programs (SWASAP) and Council for Opportunity in Education (COE).
- Attends a minimum of one conference/trainings within a three year period.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires BachelorÔ??s degree in related field and 4 years related experience. Experience writing grant proposals and maintaining grant funded program files is necessary. Good computer skills and record keeping ability required.
Supervision of Personnel