Position Title:Veterans & Military Specialist/Admn. Asst. to Registrars Office
Purpose of Position
To provide secretarial support to the RegistrarÔ??s Office and assist in the general operation of the RegistrarÔ??s Office. Oversees the Veterans & Military Services office certification of all eligible veteran students. Collaborates and communicates with the Veteran Affairs offices.
- Serves as departmental assistant which includes overseeing equipment, office supplies, maintaining inventory of office, perform clerical duties, distributes daily mail, provide administrative support for the Registrar’s office.
- Knowledge of all specific rules and regulations to assist and certify veteran students. Specific chapter rules are chapter 30, 31, 32,33,34, 35, 1606 and 1607 in addition to all university policies and procedures. Knowledge of Hazelwood policies and procedures. Ability to interpret and apply rules accordingly while maintaining academic integrity.
- Files VA certification packages and oversee electronic certification of VA students. Assists in the registration/payment process for VA students and others as necessary. Maintains accurate and secure VA student file for auditing purposes.
- Processes all Vocational Rehab and Hazelwood students.
- Serves as a liaison between the Department of Veterans Affairs and veterans and/or dependents who are receiving education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill.
- Receive incoming telephone calls, greet visitors, and assists with answering questions for all of the various areas within the Registrar’s Office. Should have basic knowledge of each area to help with recurring inquiries.
- Manages Registrar’s calendar/schedule. Assists with arrangements for on campus conferences or training events set by the Registrar.
- Processes online purchasing documents, adhering to rules and regulations of the State of Texas for the Registrar’s office, which includes processing online travel documents for reimbursement of all Registrar Office staff who travel on business. Makes travel arrangements for anyone in the Registrar’s office, which includes airline, rental car, and hotel reservations and process conference registration fees in adherence with university travel guidelines.
- Maintains and reconciles all Registrar departmental accounts (Transcripts & Services, Graduation, Catalog & Schedules and VA) throughout the fiscal year. Completes on-line budget adjustments for Registrar accounts. Prepares quarterly reports for Registrar departmental accounts so Registrar can track expenditures. Works closely with Registrar on fiscal year budget process.
- Assists with Commencement Committee meetings, coordinates meetings and transcribes minutes and distributes to committee meetings.
- Assists Registrar/Associate Registrar/Graduation Coordinator with all activities associated with Commencement. Prepares lineups and platform party seating as well as preparing all other necessary commencement documents. (Contracts, letter for flowers, working with facilities, etc.) Orders staging and chairs and processes all payments for services using FAMIS.
- Responsible for responding to and providing data for all subpoenas, distributing to other departments as required, in a timely manner.
- Responsible for maintaining an inner office inventory system which includes all critical office forms (transcript paper, graduation supplies, copy/fax toners, paper, FERPA forms, front desk request forms (transcripts, enrollment verifications, withdrawals, drop/adds, etc.)) Contacts appropriate individuals for equipment repairs and performs simple preventative maintenance on office equipment. Serves as Alternate Property Officer for the department.
- Schedules Registrar staff meetings and transcribes minutes and distributes to staff members. Assists with staff communication regarding important information/reminders.
- Responsible for keeping outer office areas neat and orderly and ensuring service excellence at all times.
- Requires detailed knowledge and familiarity of all university policies and procedures.
- Communicates efficiently and effectively with all students, staff and faculty.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Requires a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent, degree preferred. Five (5) years secretarial or related experience, or one (1) year experience as an administrative assistant, preferably in higher education. Knowledge in business communications, spelling, punctuation, office procedures and excellent proofing skills. Ability to organize and set priorities, maintain records, interpret and prepare reports and compose memoranda and letters and excellent communications skill essential. Good computer skills and knowledge needed; with ability to demonstrate word processing and spreadsheet experience.
Supervision of Personnel