Position Title:Vice President for Business and Administration
Department:Business and Administration, VP for
Reports To:President and CEO
Purpose of Position
Functions as the Chief Business Officer (CBO) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for the University. Directs the University‚??s financial management and business affairs. Directs the administrative support services of the University. Responsible for the safeguarding of all University assets.
- Oversees and provides leadership to the Business and Administration Division.
- Operates the Division within budget, allocating time among the various services and monitoring functions of the Division.
- Insures members of the Division work effectively as a team, develops mechanisms to evaluate performance of the Division, and diagnoses its strengths and weaknesses.
- Insures that the Division can adapt to change, acts responsibly within its authority, and is accountable for its actions.
- Insures system accountability measures are identified and achieved.
- Oversees the management and policy decisions of business and administration services for the University. Directs the Division to operate effectively and efficiently, maintain productive and cooperative relations, and promote a high quality of life for students, faculty and staff.
- Manages a wide variety of operational and policy issues, including: budgets, security and safety, contracting for goods and services, oversight of design and construction, cash management, compensation and benefits, retirement and salaries, campus computing, voice/data networking, internal controls, external audits, criminal and civil actions, and the acquisition and lease of real property.
- Promotes efficient and effective administrative services for campus constituencies, acts to correct flaws and improve operations, and assures that the physical environment is safe.
- Oversees the examination, recommendation, and implementation of initiatives to create a diverse environment for staff that is free from gender, sexual, ethnic, or cultural discrimination.
- Develops and sustains effective working relationships with the A&M System Staff and Board of Regents, other A&M components, other State agencies, local governments and others whose interests overlap those of the University.
- Works cooperatively with other divisions and the Faculty Senate to enhance the campus learning environment.
- Leads the Division to make the highest and best use of the University resources in pursuit of excellence.
- Assumes other duties as assigned by the President/CEO.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
Minimum of a Bachelor‚??s degree required, with Master's degree and Doctorate in appropriate field preferred, CPA designation desired. Five (5) years of senior level experience in higher education business operations (CFO or assistant CRO level) plus a demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and members of the university's diverse external public also required.
Supervision of Personnel
Supervises Associate Vice President and Director of Financial Services, Assistant Vice President and Director of Employment Services, Executive Director of Facilities Management and Support Services, Director of Information Technology, Chief of Police, Assistant to the Vice President for Business and Administration. Supervision of the HUV Coordinator and Information Security Officer is shared.