Exceptions to the Use of Contract Travel ServicesThis section provides exceptions to use of contract travel services. These exceptions apply to the use of any contract travel services. When travel services are obtained at a lower total cost than the cost of contract travel services, no reporting of exceptions is required. Exceptions must be documented only when the total cost is greater than contract travel services rates. Nothing in this section affects or alters the authority of the comptroller regarding travel reimbursement or audit agreements.
- Lower Cost to the State. State agencies may use any travel services obtained at a price lower than the contract travel services price. State agencies are encouraged to obtain lower priced travel services through the use of fourteen day or other advanced reservations programs, promotional price reductions, or any method that provides a lower overall cost of travel.
- Unavailability of Contract Travel Services. The contract travel services are not available during the time or at the location necessary for the business purpose; or the contract travel service does not provide for the service required; or because the contractor is unable to provide the contract services due to a force majeure event.
- Special Needs. The traveler's health, safety, physical condition or disability requires accommodations, including medical emergency or other necessary services, not available from contract travel service contractors.
- Custodians of Persons. The traveler has custody of a person pursuant to statute or court order and the traveler is required to provide a degree of security and safety that is not available from contract travel service contractors.
- In Travel Status. The traveler is in the course of travel and changes in scheduling render the use of contract travel services impractical or the appropriate travel services are not available. The traveler shall make reasonable efforts to secure rates equal to or lower than the contract travel service rates.
- Group Program. The traveler is using a group program wherein reservations were made through a required source to obtain a particular rate or service.
- Emergency Response. The traveler is responding to a public health or safety emergency situation.
- Legally Required Attendance. The traveler is required by a court, administrative tribunal or other entity to appear at a particular time and place without sufficient notice to obtain contract travel services.
Source Note: The provisions of this §125.3 adopted to be effective December 8, 2005, 30 Texas Regulation 8051.