What is undergraduate research?
- An inquiry or investigation conducted by an undergraduate student that makes an original intellectual or creative contribution to the discipline (as defined by the Council on Undergraduate Research)
- Every field has its own research problems and methods. As a researcher, you will look for answers to problems that are of interest to you. Your problem could be aesthetic, social, political, scientific, or technical.
Why do undergraduate research?
- It is fun to create and discover new things!
- Provides effective preparation for many careers (even outside of academia)
- Prepares you for graduate school
- Gives you a chance to apply what you’ve learned in the classroom to new problems and creative efforts.
How do I get started?
- Determine what academic areas are of interest to you for further exploration.
- Visit the Center to meet with staff who can guide you through the research process and finding a faculty mentor
- Visit and “Like” our Facebook page to stay up-to-date on all the latest news and opportunities related to undergraduate research and creative activity!